Your browser is out of date.

You are currently using Internet Explorer 7/8/9, which is not supported by our site. For the best experience, please use one of the latest browsers.

City electricity inspection requirements

Many cities, towns, and counties in a Transmission and Distribution Service Provider service area, require an electricity inspection before they can complete the requested move in or install a new meter for your service address. Please note that the permit requirements and codes vary by TDSP and utility.  

New to AL&P?
Explore Residential Rates
Existing Customer?

Visit My Account to schedule your move, or feel free to call our friendly care team at (855) 485-4258.

A permit is required to do the following:

  1. Install or alter any permanent wiring or electrical device
  2. Run additional wiring, put an electrical outlet or light fixture, install a receptacle for a garage-door opener, or convert from a fuse box to circuit breakers  
  3. Install or alter low-voltage systems such as security alarms or stereo or computer systems 

For residential service, a permit is not required to replace electrical devices or perform the maintenance on an existing electrical installation. If you are not sure if you need a permit, you need to call the city in your area for more details.  

  • Should conform to the requirements of the National Electrical Code and the National Electrical Safety Code, State, Municipal requirements in force at the time of the installation is made and the Company Service Standards as to Service Outlet Location, Service Drop, Meter Locations and height, etc.  
  • Compliance is the sole responsibility of the Customer for all Customer wiring and equipment.  
  • Transmission and Distribution Service Providers (TDSP) do not inspect customer wiring and equipment, and the supplying of electric service by the company does not mean that Customer wiring and equipment has been inspected or approved by the company.  

Any work performed under a permit must be inspected by a certified electrical inspector. You may call the inspection request line at the permitting agency entity for your corresponding city within 24 hours of completion of any phase of the project made at the service area needing a permit. A minimum of 24-hours’ notice is usually required for inspections.

When you call, you will be asked for the permit number, homeowner’s name/business name, project address/service address, type of inspection needed, and date on which the inspection is desired. You will need to be prepared to furnish detailed directions to the job site and a detailed description of the electrical work performed.

Unless all the work is outside and accessible, an adult needs to be at the site to provide access to the inspector.

  1. Rough-in - call for a rough-in inspection when all of the new circuits are wired, grounding wires are in, the raceways and boxes are installed, and any necessary nail plates are put on. Do not cover any work in insulation, receptacles, or wall switches until the inspector has approved it.  
  2. Service – call for a service inspection when the service electrical mast, the electric meter base, the service panels, and the grounding electrodes and terminals have been installed. Wires must be visible without removing cover devices. Sometimes, the inspector is able to inspect these items during the rough-in inspection.  
  3. Final - Call for a final inspection upon completion of the electrical work. Be sure that panel boxes are covered and circuits are labeled in the correct spaces on the box. All of the equipment, fixtures, switches, and appliances must be installed, grounded, and energized for the final inspection. 


Permitting Entity

Phone Number

Life of Permit

Type – RES

Type GEN

Harris County





City of Houston


6 Months






E = All new meter installations and wiring changes

O = For all Move In (MVI) and name changes including Mobile Homes

F = All new permanent and / or temporary service

M = Mobile Homes

To obtain an updated list of permitting agencies for electricity city inspection by TDSP, go to:
AEP - Texas Central Co.

Corpus Christi, Abilene and surrounding areas

AEP - Texas North Co.

West Texas

CenterPoint Energy

Houston, Katy, Pasadena and surrounding areas

Oncor Electric Delivery

Dallas / Ft. Worth metroplex, Tyler, Waco and surrounding areas

Texas New Mexico Power Company

Friendswood, League City, Lewisville and surrounding areas

Have a question? Our experts have the answer! Use the form below to get the help you need.

Please complete this form with details of your inquiry and our experts will get back to you as soon as possible. Alternatively, you can call us at (855) 485-4258.

* Denotes a Required Field

a Residential customer
or a Business customer